ABOUT JERICHO - HOUSES

No. 6 King Street

The building when occupied by a furniture workshop
The building when occupied by a furniture workshop
Image:Jenny Barsley

Posted - March 02, 1999

The building that now houses Art Jericho

The earliest mention we can find of this building is from 1871 when a Mr Soden had a chimney-sweeping business here. Later from 1889-97 the building was owned by a builder named J. Baker. He then sold it to Mick Tysall who kept horses and used No. 6 as a repair workshop for early motor cars.

In 1910 it was taken over by the Faulkner brothers who started a bicycle business (surprisingly, also selling fruit and vegetables). The grandson of one of these men, Mr Bill Faulkner, took over after his grandfather’s death and continued the bicycle business, combining this with motorcycles, using 55 Walton Street as a shop frontage. He tells me that he used to keep old penny-farthing bikes upstairs above his workshops and still has one at his home at Church Hanborough.

In 1983 Faulkners moved to Botley Road. The shop at the front was sold to what is now Cycle King and No. 6 was sold to furniture designer Lucinda Leech. Lucinda, who lived in Walton Street, made the distinctive modern frontage and used the ground floor as her workshop where with a team of craftsmen she produces beautiful custom-made modern furniture. She let out the upper floor to Mr Robert Clark, an antiquarian bookseller.

Since 2009, the ground floor has been occupied by Art Jericho.

Author: Jenny Barsley

Tell other people about this page

Did you know?

Why Juxon Street?

Juxon Street is named after William Juxon, President of St John’s College from 1621-33.

The history of the Phoenix?

There has been a cinema here since 1913. Orginally it the ‘North Oxford Kinema’, since when it has passed through many hands and names, including the Scala, the New Scala, the Studios 1 and 2, Studio X (a club showing soft porn) and finally in 1977 the Phoenix.