ABOUT JERICHO - PLANNING

Another makeover for Cranham Street

Cranham Street vista in an earlier age, around 1910. 
Photo: Penny & Sinclair.
Cranham Street vista in an earlier age, around 1910. Photo: Penny & Sinclair.

Posted - November 05, 2012

New developments ahead

The buildings on both sides at the top of Cranham Street are boarded up with metal shutters. Some of the area around Grantham House has at times been taken over by squatters who have lit fires. The developers say that they will finally be starting the renovations in January to produce up-market flats.

Meanwhile across the road the old health centre building now has a similarly forlorn look. In this split building it is more difficult to do a comprehensive redevelopment. The ground floor is owned by the Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust which says it is currently ‘preparing it for marketing’. The upper floors, making up St Paul’s House, consist of eight flats, some Council and some privately owned.

Tell other people about this page

Did you know?

The origins of Nelson Street?

Nelson Street takes its name from a local pub, the Lord Nelson, subsequently renamed Carpenters’ Arms—which has since been converted to housing.

Why Jericho still has such a mix of houses?

Jericho’s intriguing mix of housing today owes a lot, to the Residents’ Association in the 1960s and 1970s which together with the then Vicar and some local councillors resisted plans to bulldoze the whole area and turn it over to offices and light industrial use.