ABOUT JERICHO - HISTORY
The Grantham House site also hit the headlines the last time it was redeveloped. Until 1961 the houses on both sides of the top of Cranham Street were owned by St John’s College which sold them for £47,000. Then these, along with those at the top of Jericho Street, were bought by Ashdale Properties. 13 families were rehoused, with one given notice to quit.
Following a long planning delay the site became notoriously derelict, making Cranham Street according to the local press a ‘blot on the city’ – wrecked by local children, and a refuge for rats and for ‘layabouts sleeping off the drink’ who were repeatedly evicted by the police. Ashdale said they were ‘extremely shocked by the total lack of responsibility of people in the immediate neighbourhood’. Even after the houses were demolished in 1965 the site was empty for years until Grantham House was built.
|Oxford Boy - A Post-war Townie Childhood||Jericho’s links with OUP||Happy days at the Scala||Looking back at Jericho’s gardens||A suburb of Victorian Oxford||Open fields to narrow streets||A brief history of Jericho||Jericho embraces the canal||Memories of wigs and cassocks||A Jericho childhood||Facing the past||Traces of ancient Walton||Living memories ... St. Giles Fair||Living memories ... shops and shopping||THE EAGLE IRONWORKS OXFORD||Thomas Combe||Press opens in Walton Street||The history of St. Paul’s Church||50 Years of Jericho||Memories from a resident of Jericho|
About the church bells?
Originally the Church only had the single ‘Barney’s Bell’. In 1890, when the clock was installed, it was decided to add a set of tubular bells to ring the chimes and the hour strike, as well as a tune or ‘carillon’. The are driven by an elaborate mechanical contraption.
Why Juxon Street?
Juxon Street is named after William Juxon, President of St John’s College from 1621-33.