The history of the Phoenix?
There has been a cinema here since 1913. Orginally it the ‘North Oxford Kinema’, since when it has passed through many hands and names, including the Scala, the New Scala, the Studios 1 and 2, Studio X (a club showing soft porn) and finally in 1977 the Phoenix.
Why Juxon Street?
Juxon Street is named after William Juxon, President of St John’s College from 1621-33.