JERICHO COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
The main purpose of the Pantry is to make food that would otherwise be thrown away accessible to people who live locally who can make use of it.
Everyone is welcome to come along and help themselves to whatever they can use and/or take items for neighbours who may find it difficult to collect them.
The Jericho Pantry is a collaboration between the Oxford Food Hub, JCA and St Barnabas Church and is made possible by the volunteer Community Ambassadors who give their time to run it.
St Barnabas Church is open for dry goods on Thursdays at 2-4pm and Sundays 12-2pm.
The Jericho Community Centre is open on Tuesdays, at 5.30 -6.30. (please enter through the café door)
This session includes both dry goods, tinned and fresh items and a free cup of tea or coffee when you arrive.
About the church bells?
Originally the Church only had the single ‘Barney’s Bell’. In 1890, when the clock was installed, it was decided to add a set of tubular bells to ring the chimes and the hour strike, as well as a tune or ‘carillon’. The are driven by an elaborate mechanical contraption.
Cranham Street used to be a blot on the city
Before Grantham House was built, the site became notoriously derelict, making Cranham Street according to the local press a ‘blot on the city’ – wrecked by local children, and a refuge for rats and for ‘layabouts sleeping off the drink’ who were repeatedly evicted by the police.
Being a vicar in a strange world
Fr Christopher Woods Thu 7 Mar - 6:30pm
At: St Barnabas Church