JERICHO COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
The Jericho Community Association (JCA) has five main tasks:
Registered Charity No. 1168203
The Association is open to anyone who lives in Jericho and everyone is welcome to come to most of the monthly meetings which are held at the Community Centre on the second Monday of most months at 8.00 p.m.
The 2018 AGM was held on 16 April at St Barnabas School. The meeting considered the minutes of the previous year, the annual accounts and the report from Sue Pead, our administrator as well as brief reports from our chair, Anne Mobbs of the Alive and Kicking group, and Phyllis Starkey of the Jericho Wharf Trust.
The officers elected were:
Chair: Charlotte Christie (Canal Street)
Secretary: Jenny Mann (Victor Street)
Vice-chair: Henry Gibbon (Furnace House)
Treasurer: Peter Stalker (Cranham Street)
The other committee members elected were: Margaret Adams, John Crabtree, Scott Ellis, Hoonie Feltham, Zoe Guy, Joelle Mann, and Phyllis Starkey,
The meeting also included a presentation bv Brenda Boardman and Alison Hill, of Low Carbon Oxford North, who talked about initiatives on renewable energy, energy efficiency, food and transport.
For the past 15 years the JCA has been working towards establishing a new community centre on the vacant canalside site.
For this purpose, we have joined forces with three other other local organizations to form the Jericho Wharf Trust. They are St. Barnabas Church, the Jericho Living Heritage Trust, and the Jericho Community Boatyard.
For the latest information on this project, please visit the Jericho Wharf website
The origins of Walton?
Walton is derived from “wall town” which was used centuries ago to indicate a location outside the Oxford city walls. The ancient manor of Walton was certainly in existence before the Norman conquest in 1066.
The history of the Phoenix?
There has been a cinema here since 1913. Orginally it the ‘North Oxford Kinema’, since when it has passed through many hands and names, including the Scala, the New Scala, the Studios 1 and 2, Studio X (a club showing soft porn) and finally in 1977 the Phoenix.