JERICHO COMMUNITY CENTRE
This is a fairly ‘mature’ building which we are planning to replace with a new centre on the canalside development site. We try to keep the building in good order but there will always be compromises since we can only invest so much in a building that is coming to the end of its life. One consequence is that disabled access is confined to the ground floor.
Some of the rooms are available for public hire. Others are generally rented out to charitable organizations and services that the Jericho Community Association wishes to encourage. We use the income from room hire and rents to generate funds to subsidize community activities, administer the centre, and invest in the development of a new centre.
The rooms are as follows:
- A1 - Ground floor hall - for public hire.
- A2 - Cafe - for public hire.
- B1 - First floor hall - for public hire.
- B2 - Rented to Jericho low-cost counselling service
- B3 - Community Centre adminstration office
- B4 - Rented to British Elastic Rope Sports Association
- C1 - Rented to Jericho Wharf Trust
- C2 - Rented as art studio
- C3 - Rented to counselling service
- C4 - Rented to Healthy Oxford
- C5 - Rented to Trading for Development
About the church bells?
Originally the Church only had the single ‘Barney’s Bell’. In 1890, when the clock was installed, it was decided to add a set of tubular bells to ring the chimes and the hour strike, as well as a tune or ‘carillon’. The are driven by an elaborate mechanical contraption.
The origins of Nelson Street?
Nelson Street takes its name from a local pub, the Lord Nelson, subsequently renamed Carpenters’ Arms—which has since been converted to housing.